TURKS AND CAICOS SINGLE PARENT VACATION
Vacation time should be fun and affordable for everyone, including children living in single parent households.
It is estimated that approximately one third of children in the United States now reside in a single parent household. When these children travel with a single parent on vacation, special consideration must be given to the choice of destination, resort facilities and travel budget.
Parents and children alike enjoy resorts where they can relax and spend quality time together, pursue their respective interests and feel safe, all without overextending the vacation budget. With some careful research, single parents can find great deals and lovely resorts suited to their travel agenda.
In case you are planning a Turks and Caicos single parent vacation, here is a checklist of things to consider:
- Airlift – Travelling with children can be tiring, especially if you are doing it on your own. Destinations that are easy to reach with short and direct flights, and that offer straightforward customs and immigration practices are important. The Turks and Caicos Islands is easily accessible with direct flights from major cities in Canada and the United States. The international airport is quick and easy to navigate. Once you have cleared immigration and customs, the Alexandra Resort on Providenciales is no more than a 10-minute drive away.
- Modern Conveniences – The Turks and Caicos Islands is an easy place to visit. There are modern grocery stores (supplied with most items you are accustomed to finding stateside), pharmacies, banks and a state of the art hospital. English is the official language here. There is hardly any traffic on the islands’ roads and not a single traffic light in the country, so driving is also stress-free – but remember it is on the left!
- Safety – The Turks and Caicos continue to enjoy one of the lowest crime rates in the Caribbean. The commissioner of the police force is a former R.C.M.P. officer. As with any place, crime does occur but incidents are low and normally only occur long after the sun sets and outside of resort areas.
- Resorts – The Turks and Caicos are home to some of the nicest resorts in the Caribbean and many of the resorts are condotels, which means they offer all the conveniences of home such as generous floor plans, washers and dryers, and full kitchens. In addition to convenience and comfort, condotels permit families to avoid the expense of eating in restaurants for every meal on vacation. Look for a resort that charges rates based per room instead of per person to avoid a single supplement fee, and ask about the maximum number of children that can stay in the unit without incurring additional fees. At the Alexandra Resort, kids 12 and under stay free when sharing the same room as their parent, up to the maximum number of occupants allowed in the suite. One bedroom suites have a maximum occupancy of four people (of which at least two must be children) and two bedroom suites have a maximum occupancy of six people
- Travel Period – Unlike other parts of the Caribbean, the Turks and Caicos rarely get exceptionally humid, or cool in winter. As a result, you can visit practically any time of year and enjoy great weather. For single parents, this provides an opportunity to visit outside of peak season when rates for resorts, rental cars, activities and often dining are discounted. Usually the most affordable times to visit are from Easter until just before Christmas.
- Family Facilities – In addition to a nice resort, single parents usually appreciate a resort that offers a number of complimentary amenities. The Alexandra Resort is a perfect example of a Turks and Caicos family resort that offers excellent value by providing the following free services and facilities – large swimming pool, tennis courts, non motorized water sports, pedal bikes, 24 hour front desk, WIFI property wide, in room coffee-tea, and DVD library. In addition, for a nominal fee there is a daily B&B package option, a grocery store shuttle and excursions with Caicos Dream Tours.
The Turks and Caicos are a fabulous family destination, and single parents can relax here knowing that they are visiting a safe, clean and convenient destination with a fabulous beach and terrific resorts that are very family friendly.